Floriani - Appli-Kay Wonder Embroidery Stabilizer - 9" x 3yd Roll
Couldn't load pickup availability
Floriani Appli-kay Wonder is a specialized webbing material which is fusible on one side and sticky on the other! Use for traditional or machine embroidered appliqué to hold pieces in place while you stitch without gummy needles! Enjoy the soft and flexible texture of Appli-kay Wonder when layering pieces. The pressure sensitive side makes positioning small detailed pieces a snap! Also use to hold free standing embroideries or patches in place while you stitch.
Now available in convenient printable sheets or tape size rolls.
Tape size rolls are ideal for holding decorative ribbons or trims in place while you stitch, paper crafting or use for flawless quilt binding! Available in 1", 1/2" and 1/4"
To turn an embroidery design into a patch or appliqué:
- Once the design is complete and trimmed, trace the outline of the design on to the paper protective sheet. *Remember that you need to trace or draw the "reverse" of the image.
- Following the lines you've drawn, cut the shape from the Appli-kay Wonder®.
- Place the soft/shiny side (exposed fusible) of the Appli-kay Wonder® to the backside of the embroidery and then press using a medium to high temperature on your iron and no steam. Hold the iron in place for at least 3 seconds. *All irons vary in temperature. Start at a medium setting and work your way up until you get a good fuse.
- Once it has cooled, peel away the contact paper from the embroidery design which exposes the sticky side.
- Position the embroidery on the garment and then press into place. Press from the applique side (use a press cloth to protect your embroidery thread) and underneath the fabric/garment for a secure bond. Finish by stitching around the embroidery with a satin or straight stitch.
Traditional Appliqué using Floriani Appli-kay Wonder®:
- Trace the design to be appliquéd onto the protective paper sheet of the Appli-kay Wonder®. Tip! Use a light box or trace at a window for accuracy!
- Trim around the image leaving at least ¼" inch of the Appli-kay Wonder outside the traced lines.
- Fuse the Appli-kay Wonder® piece to the wrong side of the decorative fabric using a medium to high temperature setting on your iron (No Steam). All irons vary in temperature settings. Start at a medium temperature and slowly increase until you get a good fuse. The fusible side of Appli-kay Wonder® is the soft/shiny side. Hold the iron in place for at least 3 seconds and then flip the piece over and press again on the fabric side.
- Once cooled, cut out the appliqué design using the trace lines.
- Peel back the protective sheet to expose the sticky surface. **It is very important to let the applique cool before removing the paper.
- Position the appliqué piece on the garment and press in to place. *Press on the appliqué side and the fabric side for maximum bonding. Finish by stitching around the appliqué with a satin or decorative stitch.
For Best Results
- Most new fabric is treated with heavy sizing, starch, chemicals or wax. This treatment can hinder the bond of fusible web. We recommend pre-washing your fabric to remove any finish or starch before fusing - do not use fabric softener.
- For the best results, iron your fabric before using fusible web. This will remove any wrinkles - do NOT use starch.
- Too much heat applied repeatedly will weaken the adhesive and possibly melt it into the fabric. Be sure to use the iron temperature recommended in the directions. Some RNK webbing requires a LOW iron temperature!
- To protect your ironing board and iron, place a sheet of parchment paper (used for baking) under and on top of the fabric when fusing.
- If the fusible webbing separates from the release (backing) paper, it is still usable. Simply place the webbing on the fabric, put the release (backing) paper on top (or parchment paper) and fuse into place.
**Remember that your traced image will be reversed once it is traced onto the paper side of Appli-kay Wonder®. Make adjustments to the original image to prevent this.
**Most fabrics are treated with a starch or sizing. Pre-washing your materials prior to using them for applique will remove this treatment from the factory and will allow Appli-kay Wonder to bond more securely.
**Test all materials and procedures thoroughly before applying to your finished garment.